1887

United Nations E-Government Survey 2010

Leveraging E-Government at a Time of Financial and Economic Crisis

image of United Nations E-Government Survey 2010

The theme of the 2010 Survey is how to leverage e-Government in the current financial and economic crisis. The crisis presents a major challenge for UN Member States’ attainment of national development goals. The Survey explores the potential of e-Government, focusing on its relationship with government spending such as stimulus funding, integrity and efficiency in financial monitoring, and public service delivery. The prime focus of the Survey will remain the Web Measure Index based on an extensive analysis of government national web portals/sites and ministries. Assessment of the e-Government readiness of the 192 UN Member States according to quantitative index of e-Readiness based on website assessment, telecommunication infrastructure and human capital.

English

.

Stimulus funds, transparency and public trust

In the face of the rapidly unfolding global economic crisis, governments have acted swiftly to stabilize markets, restore economic growth and promote job creation. By October 2009, more than $20 trillion in public funds had been committed to addressing the crisis by some 50 countries – equivalent to more than one-third of world gross product. About 90 percent of this support went to underwriting the financial sector, with the remaining 10 percent allocated to the sort of government spending and tax breaks that constitute fiscal stimulus packages.

English

This is a required field
Please enter a valid email address
Approval was a Success
Invalid data
An Error Occurred
Approval was partially successful, following selected items could not be processed due to error